Helpful Hints & Companies to help your Customers

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Gilead

Posted: 2005-07-13T05:09:35Z

Source: I'm going to risk rejection by all you book-lovers again. I have to admit I did not like Gilead. In fact, I forced myself to finish it -- mainly because I wanted to find out what horrible thing John Ames' namesake did and whether he was ever reconciled to his family. Maybe it's just the place I'm at right now, but I found it incredibly dry and slow-moving. The sections where the reverend rambles on and on about theology or human nature seemed contrived. I just didn't get it.

BUT, I did learn two new words, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. The first one is susurrus: (noun) a whispering or rustling sound. Doesn't the word sound just like what it means? The second one is crepuscular: (adjective) of, relating to, or resembling twilight. That one sounds nothing like what it means. Twilight always evokes images of fireflies and porch swings and gentle breezes. Crepuscular sounds like something hard and old. I love learning new words, though these are two I can't imagine having a chance to use any time soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home